The following information will help prepare you for the exciting and educational experience ahead of you.
Check out our Welcome video, including helpful pre-class information and Tips for Success
What to bring to class
- Water or other non-alcoholic beverage and a snack
- A current, valid, government issued photo ID. This may be a photo ID issued from California,or any other State or Country
- Signed waver. If under 18, see below
- Paper & pen to take notes
- Registered students: View the page with specific information about your class location
If you are under 18
Your parent or legal guardian will be required to sign a waiver in the presence of an instructor or an approved staff member prior to your being allowed in the class. Your parent or guardian’s notarized signature is also acceptable
If you are under 21
Effective January 1, 2011 (AB 1952/Niello) This new law requires a person under 21 years of age to complete the basic course at a California Motorcyclist Safety Program training site in California before being issued a motorcycle instruction permit with which to practice operating a motorcycle, and requires the permit to be held for six months before being issued a class M motorcycle driver license endorsement.
What to bring to the range
(including riding gear that you MUST have to participate!!!!)
- Water or other non-alcoholic beverage, quick to eat foods and lunch that does not require refrigeration. There are very few locations opportunities to purchase food or beverages.
- Full-fingered gloves, closed back, with no holes in them. They must be street-motorcycle specific and/or durable leather. Mechanics gloves, batting gloves, etc. are NOT acceptable.
- Sturdy high top shoes or boots, footwear MUST COVER the anklebone; fabric footwear is not permitted.
- Long, sturdy pants; leather, “blue-jeans,” or denim only.
- HELMETS are provided as part of the course.
- Your own full face DOT approved helmet may be worn. If it does not have a face shield, you will also need glasses or goggles to protect your eyes.
- Motorcycle specific gear that meets these requirements is strongly recommended
- Please review our Minimum Gear Requirements
You are encouraged to use our training motorcycles. If you want to use your own vehicle it must meet the following criteria:
- Under 350 cc in size
- Safe and in good condition, subject to the instructor’s approval
- Fully insured and registered (bring proof)
Spectators are not allowed for safety reasons; friends and family will be asked to leave.
Exams, Graduation and Certificates
There will be a written exam at the end of the classroom session.
There will be a riding exam at the end of the second day of riding.
There are no guarantees that you will pass and there are no refunds. This policy applies even if you leave before the course is complete, whether the decision is yours or made by the Instructor. Our goal is to keep you and others safe.
Following successful completion of both exams, completion cards will be issued. Within 10 days you will be mailed a DMV completion certificate required to apply for your motorcycle license.
You must be on time!
The state program prohibits allowing students to enter the class after the session has started.
How do I register?
- Newark Pavilion – 6430 Thornton Ave. Newark, CA 94560
- Mission College – 3000 Mission College Blvd. Santa Clara, CA 95054
- Gavilan College (San Jose Location, starting July 1) – 560 Bailey Avenue San Jose, CA 95141
When are the classes?
We offer the course WEEKENDS 48 weeks a year.